Alcoa was presented with two top awards at the Platts 2015 Global Metals Awards ceremony. Platts named Alcoa Metals Company of the Year, the publication’s highest award, for all-around excellence in executing a metals strategy. The company also received the Aluminum Industry Leadership Award for taking decisive action resulting in substantial transformation in the industry and for demonstrating leadership, innovation and financial success.
Alcoa has been undergoing a significant transformation, building its value-add portfolio of multi-material, innovation-rich businesses and creating a globally competitive commodity business. For example, over the past year, the company:
- Introduced breakthrough Micromill™ technology, which enables production of an automotive alloy that is 40% more formable and 30% stronger than incumbent aluminum
- Unveiled new foundry alloys that offer at least 20% better fatigue resistance, strong corrosion resistance, superior strength and new lightweight solutions for many applications across the automotive industry
- Innovated the first aluminum-lithium forging for a front fan blade of a jet engine
- Opened the world’s largest aluminum-lithium facility in Lafayette, Ind., and launched expansions to increase jet-engine parts production in La Porte, Ind., and Hampton, Va.
- Acquired Firth Rixson and TITAL to expand its aerospace portfolio
- Announced it would purchase RTI International Metals, a global supplier of titanium and specialty metal products and services for the commercial aerospace market